- Provenance: Baan Sammi Nature Resort and Bamboo Garden, Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, Thailand, cultivated. Two plants flowered. The plants (BS-0347, BS-0234) were collected from 2 locations (farmer's gardens) in Doi Saket District, Chiang Mai Province, Thailand, Dec. 2009, and Aug. 2009.
- Photos: Album in flickr Collection Bamboos of Thailand.
- Description: Text information and links in Google Site Bamboos of Thailand.
(1) BS-0347: Prior to flowering, the plant had grown to near maximum culm height and diameter. Gregarious flowering initially started with only 3 culms in late December 2014, with flowering peak in early 2015. The three culms died, and were cut off in mid 2015. New thick shoots emerged from the clump untimely in early April 2015 and developed into 20 m tall culms. The clump did not cease vegetative growth, and no signs of further flowering was observed by late October 2015, but one month later, the whole clump continued gregarious flowering, and was dead by mid to late 2016. No seeds were found in the flowers, and no seedlings were found on the ground (27 Apr. 2017).
(2) BS-0234: Prior to flowering, the plant had grown to about two third of maximum culm height and diameter. Gregarious flowering of all culms started in January 2017 (first observed 26 Feb. 2017), with flowering peak mid-March 2017. At the end of April 2017 the clump seems to have died. No seeds were found in the flowers, and no seedlings were found on the ground (27 Apr. 2017).
- Comments: For species identification see Google Site Bamboos of Thailand.
|Bamboo (BS-0234): |
Plant in Sep. 2012, prior to flowering (left),
plant of the original location, a farmer's garden in Doi Saket (right)
|Bamboo (BS-0234): Flowering plant in March 2017|
|Bamboo (BS-0234): Flowering branch|
|Bamboo (BS-0234): Pseudospikelets, the anthers (yellow) with filaments (white, free) pushed out|
|Bamboo (BS-0347): Flowering branch|
|Bamboo (BS-0347): Plant in terminal stage of flowering, Feb. 2016|